How Long Does Salmon Last in The Fridge? [Answered]
Salmon is the largest consuming seafood in the whole world. If you are a lover of seafood, then Salmon is your favorite. But when it comes to shelf life, we always get confused and try to find the answer to how long does Salmon last in the fridge? And fortunately, this time, you have the best answer on this website.
Preparing the best Salmon is a thing, but maintaining its freshness is a more important thing. So we have to keep some points in mind about what we should do and what we shouldn’t. We will discuss them here on this page, so go through the following.
What is Salmon?
Salmon is an oily fish, and it has very high nutritional value as well as taste and aroma, which you can’t resist. That’s why people always love to eat Salmon. If you are suffering from acidity or digestive problems, then Salmon is the best choice for you because it has omega fish oil that can easily digest and control your intestinal system.
Salmon is a kind of fatty fish, but the fat in Salmon contains DHA(Docosahexaenoic Acid), which is very good for health. That’s why doctors also prefer Salmon for their patients. There is a large variety of Salmon, but we always use Atlantic and Pacific Salmon.
The best part of Salmon is Omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, and protein that is very helpful to increase the immunity power, and you will feel healthier than before. This organic protein works as catalyst in our body by producing the energy needed to do any work. Salmon is a good source of vitamin D, which improves the digestive system and blood circulation system and decreases inflammation.
Salmon can give you multiple health benefits, but all of these are good if you only prepare good Salmon at home. So, let’s discuss what you should do to keep your Salmon fresh for how long?
How Long Salmon Lasts in the Fridge?
Generally, Salmon can last for two days in the fridge. This is because it comes from long distances and it is transported in very bad conditions. The temperature for transporting Salmon is also not controlled; that’s why its remain freshness decreases within a few days even though they are very good to eat.
Salmon can be stored in the refrigerator for two days, but if you want to keep it for more than that, then you should freeze it immediately because the taste of Salmon remains fresh for a long time when you freeze it.
So, just follow the above information and try to prepare your Salmon at home rather than buying from stores because cooked Salmon is delicious and healthy for your health.
How to Store Salmon Properly?
The key to maintaining a fresh taste of yummy Salmon is to store it properly. Here are some ways to keep Salmon fresh for a long time.
- Marinate with Salt: Marinating salmon with salt will enhance the shelf life of raw Salmon. You have to apply salt on both sides of the Salmon. You will get half an hour time to leave it in salt.
- Keep it in the Refrigerator: After applying salt on both sides of the Salmon, it’s time to keep it in the fridge. You have to store it in an airtight container. And then leave it in the fridge for half an hour or one hour before cooking. Before storing it, you can also marinate Salmon with lime juice, lemon juice, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, etc. This will increase the shelf life of raw Salmon.
- Slicing Properly: After half an hour of marinating process, you have to slice the Salmon properly and place it in the fridge. Ensure that you do not leave any space between layers and don’t touch slices. If there is no room for slices, keep some plates on top of them to stay tight.
- Cook within 24 hours: You should cook the sliced Salmon within 24 hours. After cooking, it has to be eaten on the same day or freeze it for a week.
Keep these things in your mind and cook tasty and healthy Salmon at home instead of buying from stores.
How Long Does Salmon Last in Freezer?
If you are planning to keep your Salmon for a longer time, you should freeze it. In the freezer, Salmon can last for one year. But, you should use frozen Salmon within seven months after storing it in the freezer.
- Freeze fresh and unspoiled items only.
- Take only the desired portion of sliced Salmon and wrap it with your preferred packaging material, i.e., plastic or aluminum foil, etc.
- Put this wrapped item into a freezer-friendly plastic bag.
- Put it inside the freezer.
- You can cook frozen Salmon within six months of its storage in the freezer. Frozen Salmon is just like fresh fish, and you can enjoy eating it after cooking with your family members or friends.
Salmon tastes great when you prepare it at home instead of buying from stores because you know exactly what goes inside the food. So, cook it at home and enjoy its taste for a long time.
How to Tell If Salmon Goes Bad?
There are some signs that will indicate that Salmon is no more edible.
Rotten Smell: If the smell of Salmon is bad, it has turned into rotten fish. If you notice that smells are gone, then it is not good to eat.
- Rancid: Another sign of bad fish is rancidity, i.e., dry and hard appearance on the fish’s surface.
- White color: The meat must be red in color, but if it is changed to white, it’s also not good.
- Burnt Taste: The fish must be oily, but if you detect any taste of burnt, then don’t eat it because burnt taste indicates that the food is spoilt.
- Dark Spots: Some dark spots are okay, but if there are many dark spots on Salmon, then you should not eat it.
- Mold: You will find some mold on the surface of fish, but if you notice that its mold is growing, then don’t eat it. Because the growth of different kinds of molds means that Salmon has turned into rotten food.
So, keep these signs in mind and cook tasty and healthy Salmon at home instead of buying from stores.
How Long Does Cooked Salmon Last in The Fridge?
According to USDA, cooked Salmon can last for four days in the fridge. But, if you cover it properly, then it will last for five days.
To avoid food poisoning, make sure to cover your cooked Salmon properly. And don’t leave uncovered cooked Salmon in the fridge because this will increase the risk of bacterial growth, which can harm your health.
You can keep a leftover cooked Salmon in a refrigerator for four days, but it is recommended that you should eat it within two days. If you are planning to store your cooked fish for a longer time, then freeze it.
So, keep these tips in mind and enjoy tasty cooked Salmon for a long time by freezing it if required.
What are the Types of Salmon?
There are different types of Salmon that you can check below.
- Humpies: Humpies are also named humpback salmon. It is an inexpensive fish that you can buy from stores.
- Sockeye: Sockeye is a kind of wild Salmon that grows in the Northern Hemisphere waters.
- Red Coho: Red Coho is similar to sockeye, but it has a slightly darker flesh color than sockeye.
- Keta: It is also named Silverbright or Chum Salmon.
- King/Chinook: It is the largest type of Salmon with rich, oily meat, and its color is pink to pale red.
- There are different types of Salmon that you can check.
Nutrition’s Facts About Salmon
Salmon is good for your overall health. It contains many different vitamins and minerals that work together to provide you with better health benefits.
Vitamin A: Vitamin A present in Salmon works to improve a person’s eyesight.
Vitamin D: Also, vitamin D present in Salmon helps our body absorb calcium from food which is necessary for building strong bones.
Omega-3: Omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon are good for the heart and blood vessels. It reduces triglycerides and prevents heart diseases.
B12 Protein: The protein in Salmon called “B12” is responsible for forming red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all parts of the body.
So, cook tasty Salmon at home and enjoy its health benefits for a long time by storing it according to the guidelines.
So, Salmon is a healthy fish that contains many health benefits. Salmon can last for four days in the fridge after cooking it at home. If you follow all the tips for storing Salmon, then cook tasty and healthy Salmon to enjoy its taste for a long time.